Garage door installation is not as hard as it appears. As long as you follow the instructions by the door manufacturer, it can be done in three hours. Bear in mind that larger doors are harder to install compared to smaller doors.
At first, the many parts and pieces could overwhelm you. There are several parts to consider such as the hinges, rollers, metal track, cables, springs, struts, handles, door panels, bolts, screws and many more. However, most large garage-door manufacturers are now catering to making user-friendly door kits with simple instructions made available. While there are still several parts to be assembled, as long as you read the instructions well and follow them religiously, you will be able to come up with a more professional door installation result.
The items below are simple tips in installing a door for your garage.
1. The first aspect of the job is to remove the existing garage door, if there is one. It is preferable to hire a professional to help you with the task of removing since there is a tendency that you might be injured by the powerful springs of your current garage door.
2. For the garage door to operate smoothly it must be level and the bottoms of the tracks should be parallel and level. It is necessary for the first section of the door to be perfectly level.
3. Make sure you are using only the approved hardware supplies by the manufacturer. Concentrate on the bottom brackets; make sure they are securely fastened on the door. Avoid stripping the bolts by over tightening them.
4. Single-wide garage doors are the easiest to install. Make sure to use the overhead track is securely supported and it should be in perfect alignment. The moment the door starts to go up or the track falls or the door comes out of the track, it can fall. Keep in mind that there are incidents where a garage door fell from the track and hurt people and anything that was under it when it falls.
5. Pay close attention to the instructions on the proper adjustment of the spring. Many springs on doors are adjusted perfectly if the door does not open and close when halfway opened. Make sure to that you are able to lift the door in halfway open position so it will stay there without opening or closing.
Again, you can hire a professional to do the job or help you with the job since most garage doors are heavy, large and sometimes complicated. However, if you are capable of doing it yourself, you will be able to save money and enjoy the achievement and satisfaction of doing the job of installing a garage door yourself.
Never attempt to remove or adjust a garage door with a standard torsion-spring mechanism because these are usually under extreme tension that could make them more dangerous. Instead, it is preferable to call a professional garage door installer to handle the job instead of attempting to do it on your own.